In the current world, when we want to buy a new phone, new shoes, or even a new car, we make a trade-off between our budget and our real expectations. And customization of products is often a luxury.
But if we zoom out and look at the big picture, we soon realize that today’s technologies for smart manufacturing doesn’t only benefit manufacturing players, but also us, the customers, by making it possible for us to get our dream customized products, at the price of the mainstream ones.
Industry 4.0: The enabler
Smart homes become more common, with programmable window rolling shutters, mobile control Apps for lights, security systems linked to the central police station, etc. Thanks to the same idea, but with higher potential, smart factories allow devices to communicate with each other and with computers. Welcome to the era of Industry 4.0!
This new era lets machines provide access to real-time supply chain information, making it possible to track materials and products as they move through the supply chain. It gives a real-time scope to recommend adjustments in operations for better management of operational costs. However, this connectivity is useless without a trustable and efficient network. [DB2] Thankfully, we have a network called Blockchain.
The Blockchain: A game changer
One of the (many) benefits the Blockchain offers is the re-intermediation of trust, thanks to its algorithm architecture and security. In manufacturing, it makes it possible to reassign responsibilities, like payments and product configuration, to a smart-contract, which is an autonomous program running all defined conditions on the Blockchain.
Manufacturers, suppliers, carriers, inventors and consumers are brought together with the Blockchain, and combined with smart contracts in the era of Industry 4.0, the list of benefits of this trust re-intermediation is large:
· Cost savings: No useless intermediation, you can ask the manufacturers directly for customized shoes, or even a phone, at the price of mass production.
· Transparency: You can follow every step of the production of your customized phone or car from order to delivery.
· Productivity and efficiency: You want to change your new car’s colour in the last minute of production? That’s okay, machines are connected in real-time. Devices’ production data is used for adjustments in operations.
· Security: Payments are automated according to rules agreed upon between manufacturers and customers, and the stage of production is directly reported by machines.
· Access: Equitable access for every player, from supplier to carrier, and the customer.
· Quality: Errors are spotted and compared to the fault tolerance defined for the product.
These technologies are here.
At ARXUM, we are fully aware of the current manufacturing problems and the solutions, as a company based on an existing German business in the field of process automation. We developed a manufacturing protocol based on the Blockchain, and the ARXUM Connection Box, driven by Industry 4.0. They let you profit from all the benefits listed in this article. Relationships to BMW, Volkswagen, Philips, and many other manufacturing actors have already been established. Our mission now is not only to show you how advanced our ambitious project is, but also to share the tenet with you, and give you access to this new era in order to enrich your daily life.
Start following us to be the first informed of the project status: